“Lift with your legs”. It’s a phrase we’ve all heard, but not something we all take to heart, or even fully understand. Did you know that lifting objects with poor mechanics can contribute to minor degenerative changes in our spines that can accumulate over time, leading to more significant changes? These changes can manifest as back pain or leg symptoms.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when lifting objects:
- Squat down with feet about shoulder width apart or staggered widely around the object.
- Get as close as possible to the object.
- Gently suck in your stomach.
- Pick up the object, keeping it close to your body.
- Turn your entire body to make turns (don’t twist at your waist).
- Re-squat down to lower the object to its new location.
Feel free to contact Sawtooth Physical Therapy with any questions.